Wurkkos Taschenlampen

Skilhunt Taschenlampen

Olight S2A R50 S1R Photos, impressions

gopajti

Flashaholic
12 April 2014
Ungarn
elemlampa.blog.hu
Hello guys, some new Olight models arrived few days, few weeks ago. So, I would like to share some photo and my impressions,

(thread still not complete!! more info, photos will soon)

Olight S2A (XM-L2, 2*AA, 550lm)

Official specs, features

PMMA TIR lens with a 90% transmission rate
LED type: Cree XM-L2 CW LED
Output/Runtime (with Olight Lithium battery)
Turbo: max. 550~260 lumens (3min +240min)
High: 260lm (250 min)
Medium: 120lm (10h)
Low: 20lm (80h)
Moonlight: 0,5lm (50days)
Peak Beam Intensity: 3000cd (distance max. 110m)
Battery: 2*AA Lithium, Alkaline or rechargeable NiMH batteries. (14500 li-ion cell not supported)
Material: 6061-T6 aluminium alloy structure, Type III hard anodizing with stainless steel pocket clip.
Waterproof: IPX-8
Impact resistance: 1m

How to operate

ON/OFF: To turn on the light, single-click the side switch, the flashlight outputs at memorized brightness level, single-click again will turn the light off.

CHANGE BRIGHTNESS LEVEL: Press and hold the side switch when the light is on. The output will cycle through low - medium - high - turbo mode. Release the side switch when the desired brightness level is achieved.

MOONLIGHT: From off state, press then hold the side switch for 1 second enables the moonlight mode.

DIRECT ACCESS TO TURBO: From off state, double clicks directly activate turbo mode.

STROBE: Triple-click the side switch to activate strobe mode, any other operation will quit the strobe.

TIMER: The light contains two timer settings: long timer (9 minutes) and short timer (3 minutes). Double click the side switch to enter this setting. Output blinks once means 3 minutes short timer, blinks twice means 9 minutes long timer. Double click the side switch to change the timer to the opposite setting. The light will automatically shut off when the timer is overflow.

NOTICE:

- One of the five following output modes: moonlight, low, medium, high and turbo, will be memorized after the light turns off. (The flashlight will only memorize high and turbo mode fo 10 minutes after the light is turned off, the memory turns to medium mode)
- Moonlight mode is not among of normal dimming sequence (low - medium - high - turbo), from moonlight mode, press then hold the side switch to enter into normal dimming sequence.
- In the beginning of turbo mode, the output will be in maximum for 3 minutes, within following 1 minute, ouput ramps down to 60% of the initical output.
- When the strobe mode on, press and hold the side switch and te light will quit strobe mode, and it will then return to the memorized mode.
- Except the black one, all other colored ones are fluorescent

My impressions:

PROS

+ High build quality, not seen any scratch (checked all four lights) etc. well lubricated thread/o-ring (not too much, but ok)
+ Dust free lens, I've not seen any problem inside the lens, checked all four S2A. (same experience as earlier baton models)
+ Very nice, quality beam, has huge hotspot, no rings etc, I really like TIR solution, good balanced beam. Very useable in many situations
+ Nice white tint with slightly yellowish color, so it's not a horrible bluish, purplish "cool white" tint
+ NO PWM OR OTHER IRRITATING things, all mode (except moonlight, pls check other comments) looks perfect, absolutely flickering-free.
+ User friendly UI, simple to use, direct access to turbo or moonlight mode, hidden strobe.
+ Good performance from two AA batteries (max 550lm)
+ Really long runtimes, especially with lithium batteries (50 days in moonlight mode or more than 3 days in low mode, 20lm)
+ Well spaced modes, direct access to turbo and moonlight mode
+ The fluorescent silicone surface on the body a very good feature, you can find your flashlight in the night easily
+ Timer function also looks very useful, I really like it
+ Removable clip
+ Came with 2pcs lithium batteries, date code 2016.05 (expire 2026.05)
+ 5 years warranty

CONS

- there is no holster
- there is no lockout function

Other comments

- Strange, but I've seen pwm(?) effect in lowest mode (moonlight), but it's an extremely fast, so absolutely not visible in real life use.
- I would like to see 14500 li-ion support
- I would like to see neutral white version, not only cool white

If you need a really good quality, versatile AA flashlight around the house or in the car etc. I highly recommend S2A.

R50 Seeker (1*26650, XH-P50 LED, 2500lm)

Earlier model, R40 was a good versatile flashlight, but now R50 looks better for me. Ok, Olight still use same, "only" 4500mAh cell, but performance much better, much more lumen than R40. Thanks to Cree XH-P50 LED. Now max output is 2500 lumens (R40 was max 1200lm). Impressive performance from a relative small flashlight. Check the R50 vs R40 beamshot comparison pic!

Official specs, features

KEY FEATURES

Features a Cree XLamp XHP50 LED, maximum output of 2500 lumens,and runtime up to 50 hours.
Side switch cycles through three brightness levels. double click access to Turbo while triple click access to Strobe.
Multi-function side switch featuring a battery power indicator which glows red when battery runs low.
automatically returns to your last brightness level from the off position with the built in memory function.
Built-in rechargeable 26650 4500mAh lithium battery with charging cable included.
Aircraft-grade aluminum body with anti-scratch type III hard anodizing
Ergonomic design with chamfered edges for a comfortable feel in the hand.
Lock-out function to prevent accident activation.
Waterproof up to 2 meters.

Output / Runtime:
Turbo: 2500 Lumens / 2 Minute Burst
High: 1200 Lumens / 12 Minute Burst
Medium: 300 Lumens / 6 Hours
Low: 50 Lumens / 50 Hours
Peak Beam Distance: 297 Meters
Peak Beam Intensity: 22,000cd

INCLUDED ACCESSORIES

Micro-USB Cable ( 1m )
User Manual
4500mAh 26650 Battery ( customized )
Lanyard
Power supply
Traffic Wand (optional)

My impressions

PROS

+ R50 comes with a nice gift box
+ High build quality, looks very solid. Much better charging port cover solution than earlier model R40, looks more reliable.
+ Very clean reflector, lens inside. Lens transmittance looks extremely good
+ Very well lubricated thread/o-ring, works really smoothly
+ Well centered led
+ Very nice beam without any rings etc, well balanced throw/flood
+ There is NO PWM or other irritating flickering effect, all modes looks perfect and stable
+ Hidden strobe mode
+ Direct access to turbo mode
+ Simple UI
+ Nice design (I really like blue PVD coating bezel and ring around the switch), comfortable size, comfortable to use, side switch position also very good, reaction time also perfect, fast
+ Low voltage indicator (activated when battery voltage was 3.42V)
+ Lockout function
+ Charger stopped at 4.18V, perfect!
+ Can stand in candle mode
+ 5 years warranty

CONS

- Can't charge other batteries in the flashlight (but you can use other 26650 cells)
- there is no holster
- there is no moonlight mode

Other comments

- It's a new light with one of the newest high performance led, so I don't understand Olight, why can't use a higher capacity battery as 4500mAh? 5000-5200mAh cells available on market.
- I would like to see neutral white version not only cool white
- R50 PRO is coming soon with XH-P70 LED and more than 3000 lumens output
- Slightly yellowish tint (for me it's better than ugly purplish, bluish "cool white" tint)
- USB adapter surface looks extremely sensitive, can be easily scratched, be careful. Otherwise USB adapter output is 2.1A.
- Battery original voltage was 3.78V. Charging time 3.78V to 4.18V was ca 3h 15 mins

Olight S1R (XM-L2, 1*RCR123/16340, 900lm)

I really like the original S1, because it's really tiny and powerful light, perfect to every day use, so I'm curious how working the new S1R.

Official specs, features

The S1R baton (S1R) is a side-switch, rechargeable EDC flashlight, powered by one RCR123 rechargeable lithium battery of high discharging rate, giving a maximum output of 900 lumens. It ulitizes Cree XM-L2 LED. Coupled with TIR optic lens of high light transmission rate, it can deliver a balanced beam. S1R has five brightness levels and a strobe mode, covering an output range of 0.5 to 900 lumens. The outer appearance of S1R follows the style of BATON Series. It comes with a magnetic charging cable. You may use a desktop micro-dok as an optional charger, which makes it easier to acquire the power source whether at home or outdoors, and make sure the flashlight is always ready to bring brightness to your life at any time.

- Cree XM-L2 LED