Wurkkos Taschenlampen

Skilhunt Taschenlampen

Lupine SL AX or Wilma

3 Dezember 2020
Hi, I don't know which front light to choose... I'm undecided between SL AX and Wilma. Can you give me some advice? I live in Italy and the legislation in Italy permits to use on the roads lamps which are not certified stvzo... I normally road / train on unlit countryside paved roads that include uphills and downhills (70 kmh). I am quite undecided ... on the one hand, with the Wilma model I could dazzle motorists, on the other hand, with the SL AX model, I am afraid of not seeing the road well... what lamp do you recommend me?

angerdan

Flashaholic**
30 Dezember 2011
I'm undecided between SL AX and Wilma. Can you give me some advice?
I normally road / train on unlit countryside paved roads that include uphills and downhills (70 kmh).
with the SL AX model, I am afraid of not seeing the road well...
what lamp do you recommend me?
The Lupine SL AX has more than enough power to be used downhill. Especially with the shaped beam, which brings the light more effective to the areas where needed.
lupine.de/products/bike-lights/road-bike-lights/sl-ax

With the activation of the additional far distance beam you can see far enough even with 70km/h.
lupine.de/lighttest

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
  • Danke
Reaktionen: Pat.-lichterloh

polyphrast

Flashaholic
16 September 2019
Südlich des Weißwurstäquators
I normally road/ train on unlit countryside paved roads that include uphills and downhills (70 kmh). I am quite undecided ... on the one hand, with the Wilma model I could dazzle motorists, on the other hand, with the SL AX model, I am afraid of not seeing the road well... what lamp do you recommend me?
i guess you meant "ride/train on unlit roads" and you do not intend use it offroad?
Go for the SL AX.

here's why:
You have to differ between Lumens and between lux/candela. Lumens will tell you how much light in total the lamp produces, but it doesn't tell you where the light goes. Lux/candela gives you more information how much light is at a certain spot.
so if you check the lupine webpage (not the shop), you'll see that the Wilma is rated at 18.000 candela and a (theoretical) beam distance of 270 m. The SL AX is rated at 34.000 cd and a theoretical beam distance of 370 meters (in high beam mode).
So while having less lumens, the AX will give you higher beam distance, fairly enough for 70 km/h downhill on a road. The Wilma will just purt more light above your head and to the sides, where you do not need it on the road.

here is a video of a Wilma and SL-X (the less powerful e-bike version):

and here a video of only the SL-X (e-bike)

and here the SL-X (e-bike version) in combination with the betty (which is even more powerful than the wilma).
Even when the betty is switched on, one still sees the very focused and powerful high beam of the SL-X

3 Dezember 2020
Hi, thank you very much for your advices.. I was only afraid of the cuts in the light beam of the stvzo lamps... for exemple, the SL AF makes a clean cut between light and dark. But, from the videos, I can se that is not the case of SL AX.. the SL AX shines far away, more than the Wilma. How is the transverse lighting instead? to be able to make tight turns safely? it's enough?

polyphrast

Flashaholic
16 September 2019
Südlich des Weißwurstäquators
Even with the well defined cut-offs you still have some residual light above the cut-off. Even in case of the SL-F it is sufficient to see reflective signs.

Here is another Video, SL AX vs SL AF, on the road and in the woods (sorry, german...)
The SL AX has a much wider beam in front of the bike than the AF. In the video is written: AX very wide beam in front of the bike, good visibilty when turning.